Thursday, June 14, 2012

My almost bridezilla moment: RSVP's!

Let me start by saying, I hate RSVP's.  If there was one moment throughtout my entire planning process that I turned borderline bridezilla, it was over RSVP's.  Talk about annoying.

So what is all this nonsense behind RSVP's anyway? RSVP stands for répondez s'il vous plaît, or "respond, if you please."  I don't know if getting people to respond has always been a problem, or if it's a sign of the times.  I struggled with RSVP's for my own wedding, and also while being in the maid-of-honor role for a friends wedding.  The bridal shower, bachelorette party, the wedding -- I had to hunt people down for everything!

In an effort to make things easier for our guests, and save us some money, we decided to do a non-traditional RSVP system.  Instead of including a pre-postaged response card we included an "informational insert" that read:

Visit our wedding website for accommodations, directions, suggested attire, and more.  www.mywedding.com/MrandMrsSmith.  
RSVP
Please reply by May 2, 2012
with number and names attending or regrets
via our wedding website, phone, or email
(309)123-4567
emailaddress@gmail.com

Easy enough, right? We gave them 3 options!!! As we were tracking people down and forcing them to RSVP, you wouldn't believe how many people said, "Oh we already sent you the response card." -- THERE WASN'T A RESPONSE CARD!!!!!!  So totally frustrating!  These days people are not found far from their cell phones, so don't tell me you didn't have a second to respond with a quick, "Yep, we are coming!".  We thought the headache was over when we finally received all responses, until our wedding day and TWENTY-NINE people who RSVP'd did not show up.  Are you freaking kidding me? You don't know how tempted I was to send them a bill.  You cost us extra for food, alcohol, table settings.  How rude!  

Stay tuned for my next post where I attempt to scour the internet for tips and tricks related to RSVP's!

Happy Planning,
Anti-Bridezilla

No comments:

Post a Comment